- April 20, 2020 - April 24, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Course Length: 5 Days Course Dates: April 20 – 24, 2020 Course Venue: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This course provides detailed discussions and hands-on training for building Integrated Asset Modeling to optimize production, identify bottlenecks and maximize recovery factor from oil and gas fields. The training course will provide fundamental and advanced knowledge of the Integrated Asset Modeling (IAM) components. The different type of coupling the sub-surface and surface models will be explained and all possible scenarios properly development. The benefits of using IAM as a powerful tool for reservoir management will be also extensively explain through case studies. Participants will learn how to integrate these different models together and run them all as a piece using commercial software applications. Novel workflows for thoroughly evaluating, analyzing and optimizing performance of oil and gas field/well production system components to achieve an target rates at the different states of the well/field life (early-, mid- and later-life) will also be presented. Framework to generate production optimization exploitation scenarios will also be explained in detail as well as the different types of IAM operational models. Participants will also gain the knowledge and skills to identify typical production bottlenecks, resolve and optimize it, and perform forecasting to get a better insight for future performance of the integrated asset model. Different scenarios will be reviewed and discussed to understand the potentials and limitations of integrated asset modeling as a key tool for field optimization, development, and budget planning considering surface and economic constraints.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for petroleum production, facility and project engineers; assets managers; reservoir managers; facility managers; project managers from oil and gas government regulatory authorities; joint venture oil and gas operators; joint venture non-operators, and others
Who Should Attend?
- Understanding the benefits of the integration of the sub-surface and surface models.
- Recognizing the IAM operation models, objectives, uses, and main applications
- Learning how to model the interactions between the reservoir deliverability and the wellbore completion.
- Understanding the benefits of Digital Oil Fields over the IAM process and decision making.
- Novel methods for generating integrated asset modeling (IAM) to improve the processes of fluid flow performance forecasting and scenarios analysis
- Integrating production data into integrated asset modeling (IAM) reservoir modeling and history matching processes
- Improving integrated asset performance management using single and multi-objective optimization methods
- Selecting the most economical time for the installation of production enhancement technologies
- Optimizing the production system to produce the objective flow rate economically
- Performing evaluations of production systems to identify different types of formation damage and ways to improve oil recovery
- Understanding the value of data and information for the decision-making process
- Using case studies, group exercises and interactive group discussion to identify and offer solutions to specific problems associated with integrated asset modeling and optimization
Integrated Asset Modeling (IAM)Overview
- Definition of IAM
- IAM Objectives
- IAM expected Benefits
- IAM deliverables, use of Integrated Asset Models for different management functions
- Overview of integrated production systems and production processes
- Type of models (reservoir, well, pipelines, compression, separation and storage) and their combination to build IAM projects
- IAM Macro Process. Integration of reservoir, wellbore, surface and economic models for diagnose, design, forecast and optimize production processes.
- IAM Operational Models: Maintenance and Reliability, Asset and Operating Integrity, Production Surveillance and Optimization, and planning and scheduling
- IAM integration with Field Development Plan Strategies
- IAM General Workflow. Step by Step procedure to connect sub-surface and surface systems
- Integrate asset model uses: risk analysis and environmental impact, production optimization, operation integrity, planning and scheduling.
- Integration of field development plans and integrated asset modeling. Uncertainty identifications, and decisions, scenario optimization.
- Case studies discussions from national oil companies (NOC) and international oil companies (IOC). Benefits quantification, recovery factor, production incremental.
Integrated Asset Modeling and Field Development Plans
- What is Field Development Planning?
- IAM as a tool to evaluate field development plans
- Optimum Field Development planning via Integrated Asset Modeling
- Field Development workflow
- Field Development Plan Framework and IAM methodology
- Deliverables in a Field Development Plan
- Importance of reserves, and Resources definition to FDP generation
- Overview of reserves estimation methods. Analogy, Volumetric, Production Performance, Material Balance, and Numeric Simulation. Criteria for method selection.
- Field development plan profit calculation. Importance of evaluating multiple scenarios via Integrated Asset Modeling
- Production optimization. What is production optimization? variable to maximize or minimize, decision variables, field development plan optimization exercises
- What Is Optimization Under Uncertainty? uncertainty definition, Uncertainties vs. Risk, uncertainty analysis, Descriptive and Inferential Statistics, Probability Distributions, type of probability distribution, estimation of mean, variance, standard deviation, kurtosis, skewness, percentiles.
- Monte Carlo simulation. Basis for Monte Carlo simulation, uses, examples in Oil and Gas projects
- Front-End Loading (FEL). How FEL and Integrated Production Modeling are complemented, FEL basis, Influencing value creation along project life cycle, the impact of new technology on production optimization and field development plans.
- Case studies discussions
Integrated Production Modeling and Optimization
- Integrated asset modeling (IAM)
- Common constraints boundaries among reservoir, wells and facilities
- Simultaneous vs. coupled vs. integrated
- Commercial interface programs (e.g. Resolve, MPI)
- Preparation of IAM components – thermodynamic model, reservoir simulation model, completion-wellbore models, surface network models, surface process model, economic model
- Analyzing scenarios with the IAM
- Technical and economic evaluation of alternatives
- Practical integrated asset modeling fundamentals
- Connecting GAP, PROSPER and MBAL
- Connecting ECLIPSE or CMG STARS and GAP models
- Water and gas management (conning, conformance)
- Integrated asset optimization
- System constraints management (stretch or relax)
- Optimal set points of wells and facilities
- Data validation and quality control
- Well test validation and well rate estimation
- History matching and updating integrated assets models
- Production forecasting
- Production optimization elements (Single and multi-objective functions)
- Numerical optimization methods for oil and gas reservoirs
- Optimization formulation (objective function, decision and constraints)
- Optimization engines and methods
- Cost modeling and economic KPI management (NPV, RoR, $/bbl, $/bpd)
- Production improvement opportunity decision making
- Economics in oil and gas Projects
- Cash flow, internal rate of return, pay out time, net present value, ROCE.
Intelligent Well System Design and Optimization
- Production Optimization. Accelerate production, reduced operating costs, increase overall recovery, optimize return of investment
- Production management for petroleum reservoirs
- Real-time reservoir and well production optimization loops
- Fundamentals of closed-loop reservoir management
- What are intelligent/smart well completions?
- Main components of a smart or intelligent well completion
- Overview of intelligent well control equipment
- Main components of a smart or intelligent well completion
- Sliding sleeves
- Inflow control devices (ICDs)
- Inflow control valves (ICVs)
- Active flow control devices (AFCDs)
- What ICDs, AICDs and ICVs can solve?
- Functionalities of the ICDs, AICDs and ICVs
- ICV, ICD examples
- Benefits of smart wells and fields (digital oilfield technologies)
- Applications of smart wells and fields (digital oilfield technologies)